PRESS RELEASE — On March 27, the Fluvanna Middle School gymnasium was alive with a different type of competition. There were no basketballs, running, or whistles. The sounds were instead those of students solving math problems and reaching the solution of “24.”
Forty-eight students in third grade through seventh grade were invited by their teachers to compete in the school division’s second 24® Game competition. Tenaska Virginia Generating Station donated $400 to provide cards for the competition. Sam’s Club donated refreshments to the participants. The Parent-Teacher Organizations of Carysbrook and Fluvanna Middle School also offered their support.
Participants play the 24® Game, which involves a deck of cards, each showing four whole numbers between 1 and 9. When presented with a card, the players strive to be the first to combine the four numbers to make 24 using only addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. In addition to supporting pattern recognition, mental-math, and problem-solving abilities, this game has proven to elicit a high level of interest and excitement in math from students.
Over the past three years, students have grown excited about the annual event. Many of the students practice during the summer and throughout the year to prepare for the contest. Two of this year’s gradelevel winners also won the two previous years, Alex Pellicane and Roberto Bollinger.
“It is wonderful to see these students so excited about math. This competition is a true community event with teachers, parents, administrators, custodians, and community members coming together to make this happen.” stated Brenda Gilliam, Director of Secondary Instruction, who worked to organize the tournament.
- Third grade: Ava Amato (1st), Gus Jones (2nd), Jacob Ondek (3rd) and Blaise Silverman (4th)
- Fourth grade: Alex Morris (1st), Tristian Skinner (2nd), Noah Amato (3rd) and William Ruffa (4th)
- Fifth grade: Alex Pellicane (1st), Colin White (2nd), Nate Hamshar (3rd) and Leukas Koczan (4th)
- Sixth grade: Roberto Bollinger (1st), Joshua Tawney (2nd), Lauren Fuller (3rd) and Meredith Stotsky (4th)
- Seventh grade: Trevor O’Dell (1st), Corban Van Omum (2nd), Taylor Shefski (3rd) and Noah Branch (fourth)
All of these listed grade-level winners will represent Fluvanna in the Regional 24® Game competition in Orange County on Thursday, April 25.